The Complete Ultracortex
The Ultracortex is an open-source, 3D-printable headset intended to work with the OpenBCI system. It is capable of recording research-grade brain activity (EEG), muscle activity (EMG), and heart activity (ECG). The Ultracortex is under constant iteration. The designers and engineers are Aaron Trocola, Conor Russomanno, and Joel Murphy.
- FRAME (head circumference: small = 50-55cm, medium = 55-60cm, large = 60-65cm)
- BOARD_HOLDER (x1) — .STL download link
- BOARD_COVER (x1) — choose STANDARD or ADVANCED
- Suggested Spring 1 (x21) — aka “Weak Spring” — Century Spring Corp. Stock #: U-4 — this spring is not as strong as spring 2. We use it to mount the electrodes. The low “Rate” (1.3 lbs/in) makes it more forgiving and comfortable when holding the spikey electrode against your head. This process is described in more detail below (in the “Assembly Instructions” section).
- Suggested Spring 2 (x5) — aka “Strong Spring” — Century Spring Corp. Stock #: S-71315S— this spring has a much stronger “Rate” (14 lb/in). This makes is ideal to act as a standoff at locations where you do not have a spiky electrode.
- Suggested Nuts (x42) / Bolts (x21). We use small stainless steel screws and hex nuts to fasten the FRI electrodes (listed above) to the 3D-printed electrode mount components & wiring that connects the electrodes back to the OpenBCI board. We used stripped Gold Cup Electrodes as the cabling, by removing the gold cup with a wire cutter and looping the exposed wire around the screw between the two tightened hex nuts (as seen in the picture below).
- Suggested screws for fastening BOARD_MOUNT and OpenBCI Board: 1/4” #4 Drive Screw (x8).
- Dry electrodes by Florida Research Instruments
- (18x) Dry (spikey) electrodes to be installed in Ultracortex nodes with hair: Disposable / Reusable Dry EEG Electrode ($0.60 each at 50+ quantity purchase)
- (3x) Dry (non-spikey) electrodes to be installed in Ultracortex nodes without hair (forehead, for instance): Disposable / Reusable Cup Wet/Dry EEG Electrode ($10.00 for 15)
- (2x) Ear Clip electrode (for reference): TDI-430 Silver-Silver Chloride Ear Clip Electrode ($19.95 each)
- Wiring (x21)
- (1x) Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery Pack (~500mAh) — Sparkfun or Adafruit
- (1x) A charger for your battery pack
- (~10x) Zip tie
From OpenBCI website.